Gardening with Maddie Moate
Sunflower Growing Competition
Bring out everyone’s competitive spirit by having a competition to see who can grow the tallest sunflower! Challenge your friends and family to see who has the greenest fingers!!
P.S Be careful not to buy dwarf sunflower seeds!!
Even if you don’t have any seeds you could always get creative with seeds from the fruit and vegetables you eat!
Haven’t got any compost? – use soil from the garden, take large stones out.
Haven’t got any pots? – cut the top section off a plastic bottle, and put some holes in the base – voila! You have a pot with drainage holes! (Put on a plate or saucer to catch water that leaks through drainage holes)
Make a miniature garden
Check out these really imaginative ideas for making your own miniature garden or landscape.
Make a bug hotel
Support wildlife in your garden by making a bug hotel. This can be on as big or small scale as you like. Here’s some ideas of the different ways and sizes.
Make a bug house
For a simpler make but just as useful to wildlife try gluing pine cones together in a big cluster to make a cool home for ladybirds. Easy!
- Project Noah – Global site where you can view and share wildlife
- Seterra – Free world geography, online quizzes
- Online film festival – Resistance in the Rainforest
- Kent Wildlife association – Simple ideas you can do in the garden to help wildlife
- World games – Geography games
- Wild Science – Podcast
- UK parliament – Politics, history, citizenship, etc. Written for children and young people, but lots of very interesting information, including how laws are made.
- Historical association – Learn about 20th Century history
Some of the information on this page has been taken from chatterpack.net.